Saturday, 14 January 2017

Project V.I.B.E ( Miles to go before we Stop...)


Heii Friends, Wish you all Happy Makar Sankranti from V Treat Foundation!!


We would like to write the  1st blog of the FY-17 to share our experience in Munganur village during project V.I.B.E .It was a breast cancer screening camp conducted on 8th jan 2017 at Munganur village of Hayathnagar.

On 7th evening after talking to the organiser Vijayalaxmi mam, our optimism made a nose dive, when she told it's Vaikunth ekadashi tomorrow & the village people may not turn up because of the festival. Though we were disappointed on her comment for a while still we  decided to go ahead with our plan. 


We reached around 8 AM in the village & planned for our campaign . We were segregated in to 3 group . Our special thanks for Harsh & Ganesh & Bramhaji, who extended their help as volunteer to make this event success. 

It was very 1st time for us also to conduct a medical camp. I along with Ganesh went door to door like an election campaign & explaining every family regarding the event. Even we approached the village priest, who had helped us to intimate the villagers regarding the event from  the temple mic. I was surprised to see this kind of cohesiveness among the  villagers, . Anyway by 9;AM, we had visited almost all the houses. The announcement from the local pandit Ji was also adding fuel to the activity.

"I dont have CANCER" "Why I should get CANCER" "We never smoke in life we won't be getting cancer"

Are you wondering about the above statements!!! These are few of the statements uttered by the villagers, when we were requesting them to attend the screening camp. Initially I didn't think much on the statement but later when I analysed these statements from the villagers then I was feeling really pity. As the statistics also saying in India 60% cases of cancer diagnosed on the late stage, which make the treatment  more complex & cure rate further less.

"Ignorance is the biggest enemy for all of us ", Probably today Cancer is one of the deadliest disease on the planet & it doesn't select people based on the caste, creed & colour. In  India around one million new cancer cases are being diagnosed in India each year, projected to nearly double to 1.7 million new cases in 2035.



Around 700,000 people are dying from cancer in India annually, The projected figure is to rise to around 1.2 million deaths in 2035.  Among Indian women Breast & Cervical tend to be the most common type of cancer. While 1 in every 5 women diagnosed with breast cancer, for cervical it's 1 woman dies every 7 minutes in India. It's quite alarming. So being a responsible citizen, its our  moral responsibility to educate people, so they can take care of their health & society.




Project V.I.B.E ( V Treat Initiated Breast Examination) is an initiative from V Treat to educate & inform the women of our country on cancer, so that they can take care of the entire family as well as of themselves. It's just a beginning, we know we have a long way to go. If we can reach at least 50% of the woman of our mission will be successful.

Being the 1st camp we got a lot of learning from not only from the villagers but also from the medical fraternity. We are pretty sure with the collective feedback our next camp will be more organised & we will be able to avoid the mistakes that we did in the last event.

 We would like to extend our special thanks to doctors from KIMS BIBI & Yashoda to spare time, out of their busy schedule to make this event success. Total 69 subjects were screened & few were detected some minor anomaly. Doctors from both the institute has advised free medication & check up for further round of examination. I would like to extend my gratitude to all those people who are being associated with V Treat & expect lots of participation on our up coming activities.




No comments:

Post a Comment